“OOMPY” pick: Sweet and Sour Chicken
This meal is worth the extra effort of making the homemade batter and sweet and sour sauce. It’s so good that even my picky little eater gobbles this one up
- Place rice and water in a microwave safe bowl, cover (I use a wet paper towel) and microwave on high for 15 minutes. It turns out perfect
- Make Tempura Batter.
- Cube chicken into 1 inch pieces and add to Tempura Batter making sure to coat all sides.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat until it shimmers or add a drop of batter to see if it is ready.
- Add about 1/3 of the battered chicken pieces to the oil. Fry until golden brown (about 3-5 minutes on each side).
- Remove with slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towel.
- While the chicken is cooking, saute the bell peppers (and onions, if desired) in a small pan over medium heat. No need to add oil or butter…just the bell pepper pieces.
- You can make the Sweet and Sour Sauce ahead of time or while the chicken is cooking. I make mine the same night as the recipe only makes enough for one meal. You may want to double or triple the recipe if you want to make it ahead of time to make it worth your while. “Panda Express” orange sauce is also a yummy option
- To serve…place chicken on top of some rice, add pineapple, peppers and onions, then drizzle with Sweet and Sour Sauce (a little bit of the sauce goes a long way
Approximate start to finish time is about 30-40 minutes